Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Moon Glows

Last night we finished blocking the show.  We ran act two a few times tonight, and I could not be more pleased with how the show looks and feels.  I'll admit I had a few reservations about how different some of the scenes are from what we're used to seeing in Rent, but tonight it ALL made perfect sense.  That director of ours is a genius.  That's all I'm going to say about THAT because I don't want to spoil anything, but our audiences are in for a pleasant and refreshing surprise!

Act two is arguably the more emotional act in the show, as it involves death and the disbanding of the group of friends and the relationships within, and tonight proved to be very moving.  As we all know, Angel the "wise wizard" of the show dies early in the act, leaving her friends to do what they will with the lessons she has attempted to teach them.  I had the pleasure of just observing from that point on.  What I witnessed was an incredibly talented and intuitive group of people--my friends...my family--actually FEELING the story, the emotions of their characters, the raw devastation of relationships being ripped apart for a variety of reasons, the mourning of death, fearing life and loneliness, and eventually realizing what's important in life--cherishing every moment with the ones you love, CHOOSING happiness, and living every day to its fullest potential.  

I also had a thought about Mark tonight that I'd never really considered much before.  People often feel sorry for Mark because he "alone" (not paired up with anyone) throughout the show.  The form of true love he finds in the show is within his community of friends.  Mark continues to spread Angels message of love and joy to his friends, who are still too wrapped up in their own bullshit to notice.  Mark, who's "obsessed" with his work, does a beautiful thing--he immortalizes his friends by capturing their beautiful personalities in his film.  Mark becomes the hero after Angel dies.  Angel "helped us believe in love", but Mark gives everyone the gift of everlasting life.  Yes, I have realized all of this before--I'm not completely daft--but watching this play out on stage tonight really struck a chord with me.  I am inspired.

Not that I was not already extremely excited for this show, but tonight stoked the already-existing fire under my ass to make sure Angel is as inspiring she can possibly be, especially inspiring enough to warrant such brilliant and moving reactions from her friends and loved ones.  Needless to say, I am honored to be surrounded by such talented people, I am already so in love with them all!  What a beautiful experience this is!  ;)

It's ALIVE, ladies and gents, it's ALIIIIIVVVVVEEEE!  Sunday we are finally on set and begin running the entire show.  I cannot wait!!

No comments:

Post a Comment