Tuesday, January 21, 2014

There's Only Us, There's Only This!

THIS was the rehearsal I had been waiting for!  Tonight we finally sang through the entire show with dialogue, and it was exhilarating.  What a beautiful experience to hear the full casts voices blending together to create one seamless unique sound, so different from any recordings of Rent we have previously heard.  So awesomely inspiring and refreshing to hear a new take on any given song you've heard 525,600 times before (see what I did there?).

It is hard not to get emotional when you're hearing such gorgeous sounds come from a group of artists, and even more difficult when you are part of that group.  Research has actually proven that when a group sings together, their heart rates synchronize with one another and become one rhythm.  I could feel that rhythm, that energy in the room tonight, and it moved me to tears on several occasions (which I did my best to hide from my cast mates).  I believe that this synchronicity is a great part of why musical casts seem to bond with each other so strongly.  Not only are the stories we get to tell often very moving themselves, but we literally share the same heart beat when telling them together!  That is one of the most beautiful things I have ever felt.  How can an experience like that NOT move you?!  There is something truly life-changing about it...in those moments, when you FEEL that connection, you know it is something you can never forget.

Aside from already being mentally present in this ethereal experience and emotional from that, when we got to "Without You" and "I'll Cover You - reprise" I could no longer hold back my tears and sat there silently weeping at the incredible emotion behind the songs and from the people singing them.  I cannot WAIT to live out those moments on stage!!!  I couldn't even look at Marshall during our happy songs, much less the sad ones, without crocodile tears welling up in my eyes, blurring the music on the page (not that Rent hasn't been ingrained into my brain for eternity anyway).  I am so incredibly excited, even more so than I was before we started rehearsals.

Rent has always been a huge source of inspiration for me.  I'll get more into why and how another time.  I continue to be inspired by this incredible story, this beautiful moving music, these phenomenal performers I am working with and learning from.  My creative juices are flowing, and I cannot wait to get on stage and give this show the life it deserves.

Cast mates I already love you guys with all my heart...even you c**ty ones...you know who you are!  ;)  I am so excited to share in this journey with you all!

<3<3<3
Angel

No comments:

Post a Comment